Wednesday 3 November 2010

The Script

The Poker Film



Written By

Ian Fry
Daniel Norris
Samuel Tyler




Blank black screen, Man narrates


MAN
(Narration)
“I’ve never thought of myself as a particularly lucky guy”


Flash of light as the blank screen changes to that of a room, with a dingy overhead lamp shining onto a large poker table. The shot shows a man sat at the table, cards in hand and a stack of chips in the centre of the table. The man’s name is Sean.

                       
SEAN
(Narration)
“Poker’s a game where luck can come in pretty handy. Take a look (shows his hand of two Aces). But believe it or not this isn’t the type of place I tend to visit often or at all for that matter. First of all, take a look at my fine co-players”

Pan 360 degrees around the table revealing the five players at the table. The man running the game, called Eddie is sat at the end of the table nearest the corner of the room, and a ‘waiter’ is passing him an alcoholic drink from a tray. To his left is the woman dealing the cards, dressed informally. Next to her is sat a thuggish looking man with a shaven head, and in the seat along from him is a businessman in a suit.

EDDIE
“Call” (distractedly)

The dealer lays the flop, showing the Queen of Hearts, 7 of Clubs and the King of Spades

SEAN
(Narration whilst play unfolds)
“In fact, I’ve never met any of these people in my life before, thankfully. They’re not your average upstanding citizen.







THUGGISH MAN
“Call”

SEAN
(Narration whilst play unfolds)
“You see, I come from a pretty normal background, at school I wasn’t exactly a genius, but I wasn’t thick either. I wasn’t the coolest kid around but I wasn’t a loser either. I was normal. But there was one thing in life that I loved. The army, it was my life. I was a rifleman in Afghanistan, and served 2 tours of duty. And I was good… (Trails off)
But…I was wounded in the shoulder during operations in the Helmand province; perhaps you’d like to see it”

Flashback scene: (POV) Running facing the ground, heavy breathing, then explosion launching the character backwards.

SEAN
(Narration)
But I guess all good things come to an end. After that the army gave me a leaving present of a disability payment and an inability to work,


EDDIE
(Puts chips in)
“Play your hand or get out”

SEAN
(Glares angrily, signals to call)

Middle poker section
EDDIE
(Glaring across at Sean)
“Just take your shit and go”

Sean picks up the briefcase containing the winnings and exits the room

THUGGISH MAN
“Hey boss…” (Shows Eddie the ace left in the deck, revealing Sean has cheated”

EDDIE
“What the? That son of a bitch was cheating!”


EXT. OF BUILDING


 SEAN
(speaking to the camera)
“You see, I make my own Luck”
(Reveals an ace hidden up his sleeve)


In the background of the shot, the bouncer from inside is seen approaching him, and grabs his shoulder.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment